top of page
Abrahams Law Office - Immigration and Real Estate Lawyers


Immigration Lawyers in Durham Region & GTA

Immigrating to Canada is a detailed process, whether you are coming to work, study or be with your family. A helping hand to navigate the multi-tiered immigration system can make a world of difference in the success of your application.


Abrahams Law Professional Corporation has been helping clients in the Durham Region and GTA areas seek out everything from student visas to permanent residency since 2006. Let us put our 34 years of legal experience to work for you and ensure that you understand the steps it takes to call Canada home.


Please select from the list to learn more:

We are located at 1235 Bayly Street, Unit 13, Pickering, at the corner of Bayly Street and St. Martins Drive, with free parking available for your convenience. Call us today for a consultation. Our services are available in both English and Arabic.

Family Sponsorship

Our firm concentrates on sponsorship, helping you through the process of sponsoring your spouse, children (both biological and adoptive), parents, grandparents, common-law partner or conjugal partner to come to Canada as a permanent resident. This includes determining your eligibility as a sponsor and submitting the application. We will help you understand what your legal obligations are once your spouse or partner arrives.

For more information, we encourage you to visit the Government of Canada website.


Visit your children and/or grandchildren.

Canadian Temporary Residents
A temporary resident can remain in Canada on a short-term basis for a prescribed purpose. You may apply for a temporary visa as a business visitor, a student, a foreign worker, a live-in caregiver or a visitor.

If you are coming to Canada for a visit, you must possess a valid travel document such as a passport. You must assure an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit and that you are able to return to your country of origin after your visit. You are also responsible for your own spending during your stay in Canada.

Additional documents that might be needed depending on your situation are:

  • Temporary resident visa

  • Medical examination

  • Letter of invitation from someone residing in Canada

You may not be admitted into Canada as a visitor if you are involved in a criminal activity. Also, if you have violated any human rights laws or if you are engaged in an organized crime, you may also be inadmissible. Other factors for inadmissibility include health or financial reasons.

Business Visitors
Business visitors may be eligible to enter Canada under the provisions outlined in certain trade agreements.

If you are unclear of whether or not you are regarded as a business visitor, there are several conditions that need to be considered. You must only stay for a maximum of 6 months and you will not, under any circumstance, consider entering the Canadian labour market.

The core place of your business and income is not located within Canada, on the basis that your profit will also be accumulated outside of Canada. Along with all of the factors mentioned, you are able to provide documents of proof supporting your application and meet the basic entry requirements for Canada.

Live-in Caregivers
Live-in caregivers are Individuals who care for children, the elderly or the disabled in a private household.

Changes have been made to this category (effective April 1, 2010) in regards to calculating work experience to be eligible for permanent residence and the length of time allowed to complete employment requirements. In addition, there is no longer a mandatory requirement for a second medical exam.

Visit as a Tourist
Visitors visas are required for foreign nationals who wish to visit or travel through Canada.

Study Permits

Study permits are required for foreign nationals who wish to study at a Canadian educational institution.

For eligibility to study in Canada, you must have received acceptance from an educational institution or school (including college or university) in Canada. You are responsible for your own expenses and educational fees. You must have proof that shows you are able to pay for your tuition expenses, living expenses and transportation expenses.

Work Permits

We assist with work permits for:

  • Temporary workers

  • Live-in caregivers

  • Business people

  • Students

  • Permanent workers

Work permits are required for foreign workers who enter Canada to work on a temporary basis and ease skill shortages in Canada.

If you are currently residing in a country outside of Canada and wish to apply for a work permit, there are several mandatory documents that you must have ready for submission.

If you are currently residing in Canada and are wishing to apply for a work permit, you will have to satisfy all of the conditions for an individual applying for a work permit outside of Canada (refer to above). There are additional steps that need to be taken.

If you wish to apply for a work permit as you enter Canada, there are 3 requirements you must meet. You are only eligible if your job does not require a labour market opinion from HRSDC on the basis that you already hold a labour market opinion from HRSDC. Another condition is that you are temporary resident visa exempt. You should also make note of a medical examination if you require one.


Abrahams Law Professional Corporation is pleased to assist with the following immigration matters:

  • Federal skilled workers applications

  • Family and Spousal sponsorship within and outside Canada

  • Federal skilled trades program

  • Canadian experience class

  • Provincial nominees

  • Live-in caregivers

Other Services

Experienced in all aspects of immigration law, we will assist you with the following:

  • Extending your stay in Canada

  • Changing your status in Canada

  • Permanent residence card applications and renewals

  • Citizenship applications

bottom of page